Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Best Musical Ever Written + Another Nerdtastic Time Wasting Activity Revealed

(As if late-night anagramming wasn't nerdnificent enough...)

I love musical theater. (That isn't what further proves my nerdiness... I don't believe loving musicals is inherently nerdy, although there are many who would disagree) Not only do I love musical theater, I have seen quite a few stage productions/movie adaptions of quite a few different musicals and I must say that my absolute favorite is this:


I love Les Misérables. I remember listening to the original cast soundtrack on cassette when I was a little girl and falling in love with the music of this show (Mind you... I didn't have much of an idea what it was about back then.) Naturally, I was super excited when I found out that they were releasing a 25th Anniversary Concert DVD in October of 2010. This week when it finally came to redbox, I was able to rent it, watch it, and compare it to the 10th Anniversary Concert that was released in 1995 and featured the original 1985 cast. I have watched, listened to, and loved the 1985 cast since my cassette days, and wanted to see how the new cast held up in relation to the original.



(Ok. Here's where the nerdtacular stuff comes in.) After watching both editions and listening to both casts sing simultaneously via youtube videos, I came to the conclusion that I should do side-by-side comparisons of each character and the actors who portrayed them before making a final decision as to which cast I like best. As well as musical ability, each actor's physicality was taken into account, because let's face it... an amazing voice attached to a dog-like face isn't nearly as appealing as an amazing voice attached to a greek god/goddess.

 So... without further ado... the comparisons:

 -Jean Valjean- 


An excellent Jean Valjean is essential to a successful production of Les Mis, and so I must begin by saying that both Colm Wilkinson and Alfie Boe were amazing as far as their musical performances. In fact, they are both so wonderful that I didn't think I was going to be able to choose a favorite, and that I'd have to call this one a tie. Where Alfie gets extra points for having a name like Alfie (I am aware that his name doesn't influence his singing voice but these are MY comparisons and we play by MY rules), Colm Wilkinson's Sean Connery-esque voice quality holds a special place in my heart, giving him a slightly greater advantage. Physicality was nearly a toss up too, to be honest. They are both quite attractive, but if Colm won out in vocal talent, I figured Alfie deserved to win as far as appearance. 

Musicality: 1985
Physicality: 2010

-Enjolras-


 Although he may seem to be a slightly less important person in the play, Enjolras is by far my favorite character of all. His songs are epic. I listened to both Michael Maguire and Ramin Karimloo sing over and over again until I finally decided that it was impossible to choose a winner as far as musicality. I would listen to either man sing. As far as appearance, they are both serious eye candy, but Ramin's stellar dimples sealed the deal. 


Musicality: Tie
Physicality: 2010

-Eponine-




I love Eponine. If I had the talent to perform in this play, I would for sure want to be cast as Eponine. Not only is she an alto, she also gets to sing my favorite song ("A Little Fall of Rain") with Marius. Musically, I prefer Lea Salonga in this role. (She played Fantine in the 2010 cast.) Her duet with Michael Ball makes me cry every single time I listen to it. Physically, Samantha Barks dimples win out. (Seriously. I'm a sucker for dimples.)

Musicality:1985
Physicality: 2010


-Javert-


 Javert has a couple of pretty epic songs, himself. I love "Stars" but even more than that, I love "Confrontation". Musically, I definitely have to go with Philip Quast. Both men do a fabulous job, though. As far as physicality, neither of them are particularly attractive to me (Norm looks like Bill Cosby) so the winner here is the kid who played Javert in the school edition I saw at Bonneville High School a couple of years ago. Seriously. He was beautiful... jailbait... but beautiful.


Musicality: 1985
Physicality: Bonneville High School Boy

-Marius-



 We've already established that Enjolras is my young man of choice, but his fate is quite a bit more unfortunate than Marius, so I guess Marius is pretty ok too. I must say, I was impressed with Nick Jonas in this role. He's super young and as far as I know he doesn't have much experience in musical theater, so I wasn't really expecting much, but I think he did an excellent job under the circumstances. Although I admire his boldness and confidence in taking on such a difficult role, Nick's Marius didn't compare to Michael Ball. His beautiful face, however, wins him the physicality award.


Musicality: 1985
Physicality: 2010

-Thenardiers-




I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Jenny Galloway plays Madame Thénardier in both versions, so no comparison is necessary. She's great. In both. 



Even though he and his wife are so awful... Thénardier brings just the right amount of comic relief to such a depressing story. Musically, Alun Armstrong is outstanding and wins my vote. Matt Lucas does pretty well, but to me the acting seemed a little over the top. Physically, they are both incredibly revolting, so it is impossible to choose a winner there.


Musicality: 1985
Physicality: N/A

Now, before I go any further, I realize that Cosette and Fantine are not included in this list. Fantine is omitted because I don't think her role is big enough to sway my opinion. Cosette is omitted because... well... I just don't like her. As a little girl, she's wonderful, but as a woman, she's obnoxious. The actors who portrayed her did a pretty ok job, but because I don't like the character, I didn't really care which one was better. 

So... the results are in. Honestly... I've spent a ridiculous amount of time making this decision. Total. Nerd. However, The 1985 Cast clearly remains my favorite, as far as musicality is concerned. (They weren't called the 'Dream Cast' for nothing) But physically, the 2010 Cast is more appealing on account of the plethora of noteworthy dimples.

If you haven't seen this show... rent it. Either version. But probably both. Soon. That is all.


Wait. That isn't all. I have one more picture... 
1985 Valjean and 2010 Enjolras. LOVE. THEM. BOTH.

Also, an epic video of Jason Segel (love) and Neil Patrick Harris (triple love) paying tribute to my second favorite Les Mis song:
NOW that is all.

-Ok... it's not quite all. Les Mis is coming to Capitol Theater at the end of May. Tickets are in super high demand and are too expensive for me... which is why I am officially accepting donations because I am DYING to go. If I am not able to raise enough money, I will be getting a copy of both the 10th and 25th Anniversary Concerts and inviting you all to an I-couldn't-get-tickets-to-see-this-show-live-so-I'm-going-to-watch-it-at-home-instead pity slash viewing party. Something to look forward to-


Seriously. THAT is all. 


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Les Mis too! And I love that you blogged about your comparison. And the beautiful Bonneville High School boy's name is Nathan Waite. And I 100% agree that he was amazing. :) PS I'm sending a link to this post to Maddie. She'll freak out.

    ReplyDelete